What are you looking for?


Report it - Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is any unacceptable conduct that affects the quality of community life. It can include many things, from nuisance neighbours and littering to vandalism and intimidation.

Colne takes a positive stance in tackling anti-social behaviour. By working together we can help build a culture of respect and improve the quality of life in our community.

Colne is committed to improving the way we deal with anti-social issues and how we interact with other agencies to resolve these matters as quickly and satisfactorily as possible.

Your responsibilities

  • You are responsible for your behaviour at all times in your home and your neighbourhood.
  • You are responsible for your family, the people living in your home and anyone visiting your home.
  • You are breaking your tenancy or lease conditions if you create a nuisance to your neighbours, or other people living in the neighbourhood.


Colne enables and expects people making reports to take reasonable steps to resolve the problem for themselves.


5 top tips if you are having problems with another Colne tenant.

1. It's good to talk

If you are a Colne Housing tenant reporting problems with another Colne tenant, in most cases we recommend you try speaking to your neighbour in the first instance.

Good communication is often the best way to resolve issues. For example your neighbour may not have been aware of the nuisance they were causing. Most people would prefer that you spoke to them and gave them a chance to make things better, rather than reporting them to Colne.

We encourage neighbours to speak to each other in a polite and civil manner. Raising your voice or behaving aggressively will only make things worse. Try explaining to them what is causing the problem and how it is affecting you. Don’t rake over the past; focus on the here and now. In some cases you might want to invite them into your home so they can witness the problem for themselves.

2. Work together

The best outcome is for you and your neighbours to agree together what needs to happen to make things better. We believe that using this approach, neighbours can come up with agreements that are realistic and long-lasting.

3. Write a note

If you don’t feel able to speak to your neighbour face-to-face, we suggest you put a polite note through their door. Write down what’s causing you a problem and how it’s affecting you. Make sure the note is polite and can’t be taken in the wrong way. You could start the note by saying “This is a polite note to make you aware that…”. If you are able, give them chance to discuss the matter with you.

If there is a good reason you cannot speak to your neighbour or post a note, then please contact us

4. Contact us

Please be aware that Colne expects people making reports to take reasonable steps to resolve the problem for themselves. If you don’t then Colne may decline to take any further action in relation to your report.

If problems continue, please contact us:

Call 01206 244700 or email info@colnehousing.co.uk 

You can record incidents out of hours by phoning 01206 244744 and leaving us a message. This number is not manned, please leave your contact details and a member of the housing team will get back to you.

Our social media (Facebook and Twitter) pages are not checked out of hours so please do not post urgent reports on them.

If you have been recommended to fill in an Anti-Social Behaviour Diary Sheet to send to your Housing Officer, you can find it here

5. When to contact the police

If you believe criminal activities are being carried out, you should also contact the police.     

If you or someone else is in immediate danger you must contact the police on 999.           

Tendring Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership (TCDRP)

The TCDRP has launched their new and more user friendly website. There are sections of community where you can find details about your NAP or when and where there will be a Community Safety Day taking place in your area. There are also sections on reporting ASB which you can now do online as well as on our dedicated anti-social behaviour reporting line.

There is a general crime prevention advice section and news articles, documents and strategies, in fact too much to mention.

Visit the website or click on the logo below.

Tendring Community Safety Partnership logo