What are you looking for?


Universal Credit

Are you of working age and making a new claim for Job Seekers Allowance? You are likely to be asked to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC).

What is Universal Credit?

UC is a new single monthly payment for people in or out of work. It will combine some of the existing benefits and tax credits you may be receiving including Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Child and Working Tax Credit, Employment and Support Allowance and Housing Benefit.

Who will it affect?

UC is currently being rolled out nationally. It has been implemented in all local authorities where Colne have properties but currently only applies to single, working age claimants.

How do I apply?

For further advice and information, please visit www.gov.uk/universal-credit/overview

In preparation for the changes, you will need to ensure –

  • You have a bank account – all payments will be made straight to your personal bank account. If you do not have an account, find the right one for you here
  • You have internet access – all claims will be completed online. If you do not have access to the internet in your home, there are many public spaces you can access free Wi-Fi, or even use a free computer. Click here to find the nearest places to you
  • You have a monthly budget – it is important that you plan your money in advance so you do not get into arrears with your rent and / or household bills. Check your detailed spending here.

What you need to make a claim

To make any future benefit claims, you will need to provide the following evidence to the DWP.

  • Current rent statement
  • Service charge statement
  • Copy of your tenancy agreement

For copies of the above documents, please contact us on 01206 244700. Your current rent statement can also be found on My Tenancy.